World Bamboo Day
18th September 2017
September 18th is World Bamboo Day, a day set aside to raise awareness and celebrate the many contributions of this diverse group of plants to humankind.
At EcoPlanet Bamboo we focus the day on raising an awareness and understanding of why we chose to commit ourselves to the industrialization of bamboo, and share our vision of bamboo's potential to contribute to a range of social and environmental concerns, including but not limited to:
- A reduction in global poverty through the creation of long term employment opportunities;
- A reduction in deforestation through the provision of a fiber that is sutainable, certified and produced in large enough and secure enough volumes to be taken seriously by some of the world's largest and most timber dependent industries;
- Forest landscape restoration through the utilization of carefully chosen species of bamboo on some of the most degraded soils on the planet;
- A contribution to the fight against global climate change through the sequestration and long term storage of large volumes of atmospheric carbon dioxide;
- An improvement in biodiversity through the protection of areas of primary rainforest and remaining natural vegetation, and the reconnection of these remnant forest patches to create a contiguous ecosystem;
- Restoration of water tables and the stabilization of micro-climates.
And finally, to provide the world's growing population, and particularly those with a growing spending power, the consumer products that they desire, but without a devastating impact on our planet's resources.
If grown correctly and under strict frameworks as a deforestation-free crop, EcoPlanet Bamboo believes that bamboo has the potential to be major contributor to moving the world towards a more sustainable future. And while for us, every day brings with it the learning of something new, and a renewed and ever growing appreciation for this diverse group of plants, World Bamboo Day provides an opportunity for us to share that excitement, knowledge and potential, with those around us!
< Back to news < Download article