Halting Deforestation - From Aspiration to Actions
23rd February 2018
This week in Rome, the Food & Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) along with the Collaborative Partnership on Forests, have been carrying out a multi-sector conference on "Halting Deforestation and Increasing Forest Area - From Aspiration to Action".
This multi day, by invitation only meeting aims to:
- Review current key drivers of deforestation and ways they are being addressed.
- Identify key policy challenges to achieving the SDG and Global Forest Goal targets of halting deforestation and increasing forest cover.
- Help achieve a better understanding of the role and contributions of sectors impacting on forests in promoting forest smart activities to halt and expand forest areas, and identify lessons learned from existing initiatives, including practical examples on the ground.
- Discuss opportunities to accelerate reforestation, afforestation and forest landscape restoration.
- Recommend ways forward, including key policy measures and actions by countries and the international community.
- Provide recommendations to UNFF13 and the HLPF on further policy development, application and use of innovative technology, private-public partnerships and governance approaches needed to upscale progress on the targets.
EcoPlanet Bamboo's Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer, Camille Rebelo, will be speaking as a private sector representative on a panel moderated by the International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) and entitled "Sustainable commodities and value chains: Forest products value chains in the bio-economy". This subject is fitting. EcoPlanet Bamboo was created as a private sector vision for operations aimed at reducing deforestation through the provision of a market driven alternative, while also inreasing forest area through the restoration of highly degraded land at scale. Furthermore, over the past few years EcoPlanet Bamboo has worked to industrialize bamboo as a tool for green supply chains and the development of integrated bio-economies at local, regional and national level for target countries.
Read EcoPlanet Bamboo's presentation here:
Or learn more about EcoPlanet Bamboo's model for combining avoided deforestation and restoring degraded land through the development of green supply chains by watching a short video on our target industries and markets, available here:
< Back to news < Download article